Monday, April 13, 2009

Learn how and why men communicate for dating and PR purposes!


Hello blogosphere! The semester is coming to an end and this is my final post on SA&P’s group blog! I thought I would switch it up a little and talk about a book that I am currently reading and how it can help myself, and others relate to men within the PR industry.

I am currently half way through comedian Steve Harvey’s book Act like a lady, think like a man. In Harvey’s book, he offers women tips on what really goes on inside a man’s head. Harvey also offers his view on what mean are really thinking when it comes to dating, sex, having kids, settling down and most importantly: RELATIONSHIPS!

The first thing that came to mind when reading the book was that PR is all about relationships! So I figured maybe this book would help me understand the simple, and sometimes stupid minds of men pertaining to dating as well as the business aspect of PR. I try to read and learn new things to help improve my communication skills as much as possible.

What I have already learned in life, is that men and women think completely different. The best way to get to a man (through advertising, PR or marketing) is through sex … the best way to get to a woman (also through advertising, PR or marketing) is through her emotions. The two different genders function very differently when it comes to communication.

Harvey’s book has given me a lot of knowledge and insight on how to approach men when it comes to dating and has influenced my thought process on how to market to men as well as communication with men in the PR/marketing/communications industry.

I will be able to better communicate with men if I understand how they function and why they function the way they do. Harvey’s book has definitely helped me gain insight to those two questions. Harvey has a whole chapter dedicated to explaining why men love and how. In order to market or communicate clearly to a target audience (for example, the target audience could be men), it makes sense to understand what motivates them, what they do and don’t like and why they function the way they do.

I am only half way through the book right now, but I would definitely recommend anyone needing help in the dating department or PR/communication department to pick a copy up and read it!

If you have read the book and would like to touch on other ways in which it relates to PR, ways in which I have not pointed out, feel free to leave your comments! Thanks for reading and happy end of the semester everyone!

-- Samantha Savory

2 comments:

  1. I actually never would have thought as the book as a PR manual, of sorts, for men, but I can definitely see how you came to that point. Its interesting how you applied that to PR, and though I haven't read the book, because I already think like a man, this type of literature could actually help understand particular groups of publics, I could see that.

    Mandla Deskins

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting conclusion you came to. I definitely see where you are coming from now that you have explained it. The book can be applied to all types of relationships not just romantic ones. Perhaps it can help with a male client or co-workers. Good observations.
    -Nicole Jackson

    ReplyDelete